Home Forums Prusa i3 Printing ColorPrint Issue – Extra extrusion

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ayoungtech 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

tbrummel
    Participant

I’ve got the latest firmware on my i3MK2 and am doing some color prints using the Prusa ColorPrint utility that inserts an M600 into the .gcode. Works well except for one issue: AFTER you change the filament and tell the printer that the change was successful, it extrudes more filament before resuming the print! This, as you might guess, causes problems as that filament is dragged over to the print. I’m not sure if this is the printer firmware or the .gcode.

Here is a snippet of the original gcode (at the color change z layer):
    G1 Z2.750 F7200.000
    G1 X114.062 Y108.290 F7200.000
    G1 E0.80000 F2100.00000
    M204 S800

After running ColorPrint to insert a color change at Z 2.75, it looks like this:
    G1 Z2.750 F7200.000
    G1 X114.062 Y108.290 F7200.000
    M600
    G1 E0.80000 F2100.00000
    M204 S800

It looks to me like the M600 should be one line above where it is – pausing after the change in Z, but not interrupting the move and subsequent extrude.

Anyone have wisdom to share on this?

tbrummel
    Participant

Update: I tried a manual edit to the file and it appears as though the extra extrusion at the end of the color change is coming from the firmware on the printer. Hmmm…. Any ideas on how to get around that? I thought the Prusa was updated to handle this color change nicely – feel like I’m missing something.

Ayoungtech
    Participant

I noticed this too but there are other issues with the M600 implementation. I leave the cleared filament in place so when it spits out the extra, it is still attached to a long string and it pulls off as the carriage moves back to the print position. I stopped using the ColorPrint utility as I use Zhop and it makes a mess of the file. It is not hard to manually insert the M600 at a layer change but if there is a retract sequence involved pushing the filament out 1.5 whatevers after the M600, change this to .8 or it spits out too much filament when it resumes printing after the M600. Another thing is when it asks if the colour is clean and you answer no, it goes through the whole filament load sequence including the initial fast drive to take the filament down the empty tube. This certainly clears the colour but if you are using flex filament, it tangles it in the extruder requiring it to be opened up and a lot of fiddling in an enclosed space!

Ayoungtech
    Participant

Have you tried the colour change routine in the “Tune” menu? This is a live M600 and is great for colour changes when you feel like it, in the middle of a layer, for instance. Like stripes in the first layer – very pretty. However, my printer has difficulty resuming the printing without going back to change the filament repeatedly. I did one first layer print that should have been 6 colour changes but it took 96, yes 96, filament changes to get the job done. An extreme zen challenge! Also, it seldom, if ever, responds to the first press of the button to select the change. Sometimes as many as ten presses required before it kicks in. Does not make for accurate stripe widths! It did it with a previous firmware release, which I reported but maybe it’s my printer as it still does it. Please try and let me know.

tbrummel
    Participant

TUNE Menu? I don’t have a color change that I can find on the printer – just load/unload filament. Maybe only available when a print is paused? Anyway, I don’t think this would work for me, I’m not watching the prints – I like the pause/beep of the M600 command.

I have started just putting the M600 into the .gcode file manually… and I’m removing the 0.8 extruder command that I see after the height change – I think it’s a filament prime but isn’t needed after you just changed colors. The printer still extrudes some extra after I say the color change was successful so I just wipe it off as the print head moves back to printing…

I’m planning to insert an M600 into the Prusa calibration .gcode to verify that it has nothing to do with the gcode of my specific print and the printer is extruding extra as part of the M600 implementation.

tbrummel
    Participant

Ah, I found the TUNE menu (only available during a print). Yeah, I don’t want to be trying to time pressing that during a print. I’d like the M600 to work — I suppose I could try to find out if I can break it down into individual commands and put all of those in my GCode (move head, unload, load, move back) instead of the M600….

Ayoungtech
    Participant

Thanks for your efforts in this. Did you experience the same difficulty with initiating the change filament and the same frustrations with it repeatedly unloading the filament? One advantage of the change filament of the TUNE menu is that it allows you to conveniently change filament just before it runs out! Good luck with hacking the code. I’m looking forward to seeing your results!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Printing’ is closed to new topics and replies.